Monday, August 18, 2008

The Second-Guessing Game

Whenever I hear people talk about how hard it is to pick paint colors I only kind of understand. I mean, I guess I've had trouble picking between two or three shades of what is virtually the same color, but as far as getting started, I ALWAYS know what I want and where I want it. I'm pretty sure I knew what color every room in my house was gonna be the day after we bought it (the house, not the paint). And I've been pretty happy with those choices - until now.

First, I have to admit that I am an absolute SUCKER for any kind of white-on-white, white-on-cream, cream-on-cream, combo. This is my absolute favorite look, bar none. So, why then is there not ONE SINGLE ROOM in my house done in these colors? Well, the obvious answer would be my two wonderful, little renovators-in-training. They're good kids but they're also, shall we say, active. Active with crayons. Active with food. Active with dirt. The Magic Eraser has saved my sanity more than once. So, it would seem that I've mentally nixed the idea of using my favorite paint colors before even giving them a chance. Not very fair.

The other day, while cleaning before a party, I found myself scrubbing the hallway walls with - you guessed it - a Magic Eraser, when I thought to myself, "Okay, I'm washing the walls anyway...what would it matter if they were off-white instead of light grey?" I knew I was embarking on a dangerous train of thought and should've stopped right there. But the slope was slippery and before I knew it I was ordering white linen swatches from a furniture company and seriously contemplating asking my poor husband to repaint 3 or 4 rooms in the house. Luckily I came to my senses before said husband got wind of my maniacal daydreaming. Still, though, I cannot shake the feeling that I won't be totally happy until I have my white room. Someone talk me down from this ledge, please... or otherwise tell me why I should NOT want a room that looks like this:



or this:
or this:


and, of course, the requisite Somethings Gotta Give eye candy:



As I was typing this post I received an email from a certain furniture company which explained that my swatches would be arriving soon. I meant to mention that the swatches are for slipcovered furniture. I am going to justify my way to this white room if it kills me.


3 comments:

Jessica P. said...

So just teach, teach, teach the kids to respect the environment. Give them a sticker for every day that they go without marking on the walls or smudging the furniture with dirty fingers or feet. When they reach a certain number or stickers (and you can start low, but increase the required number as they mature and get better at this) they can earn a reward. My little guy is only 7 months old, so I may not know what I'm talking about yet. But I have always been a fan of teaching the young'uns how to behave politely in the house. I still believe it can be done, even at a young age. Lots and lots of explanation of expectation and positive rewards. Can you tell I've taught before? (Though not the crayon-on-the-wall set...) Good luck!

Danielle said...

Thank you, Jessica! You're so right about the constant reinforcement. Finn is three now, so he pretty much understands right from wrong. Cullen, at two, still has some learning to do :). We've actually been pretty lucky with them at other peoples houses...the "accidents" all seem to take place at OUR house. Which, I guess, is preferable! Maybe we'll have the sticker talk tonight...

Janet said...

DD - the pics of whites/creams are gorgeous, however, I must say that I love love LOVE the colors you already have!